Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thoughts: Living in a Post-Project World

Over the last three years, I've been involved in two major, non-day job projects: writing my book and serving on the 2011 Printz committee.  They were both great experiences, ones that helped me understand both myself and the profession to which I belong.  By the end of Midwinter 2011, the book had been published and the Printz winner selected.  So the big question is, now what?

Well, for one thing, I've been enjoying reading whatever I want.  Even adult books!  If you look at the GoodReads widget I have on my blog, you can see that I've finally had a chance to read Maisie Dobbs.  I'm catching up on a lot of happenings in comic book land.  The YA lit I'm reading is more tuned to what I like to read, rather than what I should read for my various projects.

This all means that the output at this blog is slowing down a bit.  It's changing in other ways, too.  I don't know if I'll ever go back to the style of posts I wrote when I first started this blog--they were in-depth reviews of books, highlighting important aspects of the books.  Now I prefer the short-and-sweet review that gives a hint of the book.

Bloggerland is a very big pond, with a lot of fish in it.  I'm certainly not a big fish, but I like being able to share my thoughts about books.  It probably will just be a bit more irregular in the future.  Yet on the other hand, I hope to have more time to reflect, to contemplate.  My blog has always been reviews first, and everything else a distant second.  I'm hoping that I can narrow this gap in the coming months. 

I still love finding new books and talking about them.  So if you've got a suggestion for what I should read, hit up the comments section!  (That's another goal for the blog: encourage more discussion from all of you reading my blog).

Thanks for reading!

No comments: