Monday, November 08, 2010

YA Literature Symposium 2010

(Apologies for the blank post that went out earlier!)

The 2010 Young Adult Literature Symposium was held this past weekend in Albuquerque, New Mexico.  It was a great event, allowing librarians to concentrate on literature--the reason many of us are librarians, I suspect. 

The theme was Diversity, Literature and Teens: Beyond Good Intentions.  Programs that I attended included Connecting Religious Teens with Literature and The New Gay Teen: Moving Beyond the "Issue" Novel.  It was great seeing authors at the Authors' Happy Hour, and listening to Lauren Myracle and Ellen Hopkins at the closing session.  Best of all was having time to talk books with my fellow librarians. 

I was busy at the Symposium because I was a presenter too!  Doomed to Repeat It: Diversity in YA Historical Fiction gave me a chance to talk about some diversity themes in YA literature and share books with the audience.  Also part of the program were authors Christina Gonzalez and Ruta Sepetys, who were both fantastic.  If you're interested, further resources and the presentation slides are available at http://bit.ly/doomedtorepeat

If you want to read about what happened at the Symposium, check out the YALSA Blog's YA Lit Symposium tag, or access tweets sent during programs at #yalsalit10

The next Symposium will be held November 2-4, 2012 in St. Louis.  Will you be there?

2 comments:

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Well dern! And that is totally weird - never thought about you being at YALSA this past weekend. I LIVE right next to Albuquerque, but couldn't make it to the symposium. We could have met each other!!! (I'm your guest blogger on November 29th. Gulp. Now I'm even more nervous!)

Did you happen to meet Carolee Dean or Lois Ruby? They are good ABQ buds and we do a monthly Teacher/Librarian e-Newsletter called SPELLBINDERS. www.spellbindersbooknews.blogspot.com

Melissa Rabey said...

I didn't get a chance to meet Carolee, but I stopped by to talk to Lois about Shanghai Shadows, her book set during the Holocaust in China. Lovely lady!

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up. I'm definitely looking forward to your guest post on the 29th!