Friday, January 21, 2011

ALA Midwinter Recap

It's been nearly two weeks since Midwinter ended, so what are the highlights that have stuck with me?

--Working with the rest of the amazing Printz committee to select this year's winner and honor books.  I'm incredibly proud of the work we accomplished: the books we read, the discussions we had, the fun we shared in the midst of all this work.  There were so many wonderful books published this year, and not to pat ourselves on the back too much, but I think we picked five very worthy books.

--Spending time with old friends and making new friendships.  My roommate buddies Liz B. and Sophie have been both friends and colleagues for several years, and they make conferences a time for both work and fun.  It was great to have Stacy as our fourth roommate, since I've always enjoyed her blog.  And it was great to meet Sarah, the GreenBeanTeenQueen in person!  (Psst: Sarah's running for the 2013 Printz!  You should check out her blog.) 

--Getting to walk around the exhibits, seeing what books are coming soon and of course, grabbing some ARCs.  What books am I most excited about?  Libba Bray's Beauty Queens, Micol Ostow's family, and Displacement by Thalia Chaltas are calling my name.  There's the sequels Dark Goddess: A Devil's Kiss Novel by Sarwat Chadda and Maureen Johnson's The Last Little Blue Envelope.  And a debut that's definitely intriguing: Putting Makeup on Dead People by Jennifer Violi.  

All in all, this was a memorable Midwinter Meeting for me.  Since I plan to take a break from committees and conferences after Annual in New Orleans, I'm glad I'm taking a break on a high point!  Leave a comment if you want to talk about the Printz or mention an ARC that you got at Midwinter.

No comments: