Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Thoughts: Reading and Reviewing

As I was thinking about what I've read in the last week, I realized something. I keep reading the same book again and again.

Well, maybe saying "the same book" is an exaggeration. But if you look at my latest reviews, you'll notice a trend: contemporary fiction, featuring a female narrator facing a challenge that usually involves their families, with a sprinkling of romance. And while that probably describes a large chunk of the YA fiction that gets published every year, it does make me realize that I need to shake up my reading habits.

This isn't to say that I only read that kind of book. I've finally started reading Tyrell by Coe Booth, and I'm finding it an engaging, eye-opening read. This past weekend, I read Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games and was completely riveted. When I reached the last page, I practically shrieked in dismay to see that I'd have to wait for the next book. And it took me a little time, but about two weeks ago I finished Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. I've found myself recommending it to both my colleagues and to teens.

Yet I haven't written reviews of these books. Not only do I have to adjust my reading habits, I suspect--I need to change my perspective on reviews. It's just as important to review the books I wouldn't normally read as it is to review the books I gravitate towards.

This was an interesting discovery to make, and I just hope that I can keep this in my mind as I'm selecting books to read and review.

No comments: