Saturday, June 08, 2013

The First Five Hours of 48 Hour Book Challenge

#48hbc

First off, a picture of who's keeping me company during my 48 Hour Book Challenge.



So what have I done so far?

--Finished How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True by Sarah Strohmeyer.  I had really enjoyed Smart Girls Get What They Want, so I snapped up Zoe.  However, while I enjoyed it, I didn't like it as much as Smart Girls.  I had problems connecting with Zoe, and the plot's sprawl confused me.  YMMV, of course.  BethReads reviewed this one and really liked it.

--Read more of The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen.  First off, I must have read the first chapter somewhere (I think maybe it was on Sarah Dessen's blog) because the deja vu was eerie.  And, not to be too mean, but even Sarah Dessen doesn't write so similarly to herself that I'd get deja vu if I hadn't already read chapter one.  I'm about 2/3rds done, and it's your classic Sarah Dessen so far.

--Completed The President Has Been Shot!: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy by James L. Swanson.  I really enjoyed Chasing Lincoln's Killer, so I was really happy to grab this ARC from the Scholastic booth at BEA.  And this one doesn't disappoint.  Although the historian in me was wincing somewhat at some of the blanket statements, for a book for young readers it still does a really great job of presenting Kennedy's assassination.  The sections detailing Jackie Kennedy in the aftermath are heartbreaking.

Thank you to everyone who commented on my kick-off post!  Since I've done five hours, I will now spend the rest of my social media hour visiting a few blogs before I stop reading and do some real-life adult things, like errand-running and cleaning.  More reading later!

3 comments:

Sondy said...

Such a cozy companion! You're going strong!

Ms. Yingling said...

I really wanted to read the Moon and More but have to wait for a copy from the library. My reading companion says hi; she adores cats!

Abby said...

Oh, I definitely want to read the Kennedy book. Glad to know it doesn't disappoint!