Friday, April 22, 2011

Friday Fun: YA Novels with Footnotes

There should be more novels with footnotes, I think.  Especially in YA novels.  Why?  Because footnotes allows an author to have a witty aside that doesn't mess up the flow of the main story.  And there's not enough witty asides in this world.

If you haven't read a YA novel with footnotes, why not give one of these a try?

John Green: An Abundance of Katherines (who, coincidentally, has written about the appeal of footnotes in novels)
Jonathan Stroud: Bartimaeus books (The Amulet of Samarkand, The Golem's Eye, Ptolemy's Gate, and The Ring of Solomon)
Daniel Ehrenhaft: Drawing a Blank
E. Lockhart:  Ruby Oliver books (The Boyfriend List, The Boy Book, The Treasure Map of Boys and Real Live Boyfriends)
Michele Jaffe: Bad Kitty

Any ones that I missed?  Drop me a comment!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

"Beauty Queens" by Libba Bray, which isn't out quite yet, is hilarious and most of the hilariousity actually comes out of the footnotes!!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I love footnotes too! Particularly if they are clever funny notes and not just informative. Not YA, but Brandon Sanderson's MG Alcatraz series has some awesome footnotes.

Elizabeth Saxton said...

Beauty Queens has footnotes, and they are hilarious

Melissa Rabey said...

Jessica & Beth: I can't believe I forgot Beauty Queens! It could be that since I read it a while ago, it hadn't sunk in my memory.

Melissa: thanks for the rec!